Thursday, January 27, 2011
Diigo-Social Bookmarking
Today, I learned about Diigo, which is a social bookmarking website. I created an account and installed Diigolet for my web browser. My assignment is to reflect upon my experiences with web browsers. I usually use Internet Explorer and Safari. I have used Internet Explorer for years and I am partial to it due to it's familiarity. Recently, I have started using Mozilla, which I am starting to like. Mozilla is very useful for organizing information and juggling multiple pages. It has proven to be helpful when completing my coursework. Browser add-on is also a term that is new to me. Basically, a browser add-on is a tool that can help with browsing the internet and organizing information/downloads. These add-ons usually appear on your toolbar and can help keep track of the sites you've visited, link/share information with other sites (Facebook, etc.,), and provide useful tools that can help manage information. StumbleUpon is an example of an add-on, in which you can rate sites that you like/dislike and recommendations can be made for more sites that you may enjoy. I have recently started using this site and find it to be interesting. It was easy to download this add-on and I had no problems. I did have difficulty when installing the Diigolet , as I was dragging the Diigolet button to the wrong place (the bookmarks tab instead of the toolbar). Diigo can be useful in the classroom by providing students with a tool in which they can compile a collection of information from other websites and organize it in a meaningful manner. I think that the ISTE NETS T standards that most closely matches today's activities are: 1.d. and 2.c. Teachers are able to model collaborative knowledge construction by engaging in learning with students, colleagues, and others in a virtual environment (gathering and organizing articles, journals, etc.) and teachers/students can personalize learning activities to address abilities using digital tools and resources (using Diigolet to aid in gathering information and Diigo in organizing the information).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment