Sunday, April 17, 2011

Appropriate a YouTube Video

YouTube is a very popular internet site. I have always used it to watch music videos and tv clips, but had never thought of the potential educational value of YouTube videos. First, I had to find a YouTube video and download it onto my computer. After searching how to do this, I went to KeepVid.com, which is a website that allowed me to enter the URL of a YouTube video and save it to my computer. Next, I went to the martijndevisser.com website and downloaded the FLV player (it plays video files), which made it possible to watch the video on my computer. For the next part of the assignment, I needed to loop the YouTube video and upload it to my blog. In order to make my video loop, I used the website VTubeTools. I inserted the YouTube video i.d. into the text box and chose "yes" for the loop option under the settings. Finally, I was given the code to embed the looped video on my blog. By downloading a YouTube video onto a computer, teachers can easily access favorite educational videos to present to their class in a quick and dependable manner. This could also be used in a presentation. By looping the video, it can be played over again automatically, which can be convenient in the classroom environment or when giving a presentation. The ISTE NETS T standards that relate the these activities are: 2.b. and 3.d. By using YouTube videos for lessons, teachers can develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable students to manage their own learning (they can re-watch the video any time) and they are able to become active participants in their learning (as they could choose their own videos to watch related to a certain topic). Also, by using this technology, teachers are able to facilitate the use of current digital tools (YouTube or other video site) to support learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment